Vitamin D has been in the news often and a lot lately. It is said to have all kinds of positive health effects for children and adults and it is easy to implement into people’s daily lives. In this article, we will explain what vitamin D is and whether it’s advisable to take a supplement for healthy adults.
What is vitamin D?
Vitamin D (also known as colecalciferol) is important for healthy, strong bones and teeth. The sun has an important role in the production of vitamin D, as your body makes it as soon as you are in the sun. For most people, daily 15 to 30 minutes in the sun is enough if you have a healthy diet.
Recent literature on this topic
Recently, several positive health effects have been reported in the news, such as lowering the risk of cancer, lower risk on depression, lower impact of tinnitus and many other positive effects. In Nature (a leading scientific journal), an article was recently published that highlights the following:
- In people without a deficiency of vitamin D in their blood, supplementation does not provide any overall health benefits. Diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular disease and bone density were looked at here.
- People who are deficient in vitamin D certainly do benefit from supplementation.
Who is at risk for vitamin D deficiency?
- Children up to 4 years.
- Pregnant people.
- People with dark skin color.
- People who are not or too little in the sun.
- Women over 50 and men over 70.
- Many people in the fall and winter period (because of lack of sun hours).
How HelloDoc Health can help you
Do you have any questions, or do you want to know your Vitamin D levels, or are you in need of some advice regarding this topic? We can help you with that! Also if you are unsure whether you should take vitamin D or exactly what dose.
Schedule an appointment and we will help you further. Of course, we also give advice on other vitamins and supplements.
Need help with a healthy diet and lifestyle?
At HelloDoc Health, we can help you with lab tests, health tests, healthy weight, weight loss, obesity, nutrition, diet, lifestyle advice, exercise, relaxation and preventive medical check-ups.
Would you like to discuss your diet and/or livestyle challenges with a specialist dietist or nutritionist? Book a consultation at HelloDoc Health!
We are here to help you!